Saturday, August 06, 2005

The joys of new medication.

I must apologize to my vast audience of probably one person (thanks Emi).

It’s been awhile since my last confession... er post. To this I must blame my ever wonderful condition of fibromyalgia, with its ever annoying symptoms of fatigue and pain. This relapse has put me out of commission for the last three weeks or so. No need to worry however as I have taken my sorry self off to the doctor and been prescribed a new medication. Whether or not said medication is helping I’m not sure. The pain does seem to be decreasing and I do seem to have a bit more energy. So that’s good news.

Hurrah for doctors and modern medicine you might say? I am not so sure. The latest round of pharmaceuticals given to me is called Cymbalta. I was given 4 sample bottles consisting of 7 pills each and told to take one per night without the need to fill my stomach first. After also handing me a prescription to fill once the samples ran out and a command of "see me in four weeks", the doctor with a cherry smile and a wave, disappeared. Leaving me with a bag full of drugs, a $15 copay, and questions.

Questions, oh you know, like..um what the hell was this drug and why am I taking them? The internet is a wonderful thing I tell you. I’ve since found out that Cymbalta is an anti-depressant that also helps alleviate the symptoms of fibromyalgia in women. Only women. Weird, but true and another sign that men and women are vastly different creatures. I also found out that there are some annoying side effects. The side effects are nausea, dry mouth, decreased appetite, anorexia, increased sweating, and suicidality.

SUICIDALITY??? Taking an anti-depressant that causes suicidal thoughts and actions. Great! Reminds me of the anti-nausea pills I was on once that the side effect is nausea. Kind of defeats the purpose huh? So far I’ve been on it for about 4 days and the only side effects seem to be dry mouth and decreased appetite. Which means I drink loads of water, pee frequently, and forget to eat. Maybe I’ll lose weight. The only problem being I’m not hungry but my mind thinks I need to eat and likes to remind me at about nine at night. This leads to me standing in front of the open fridge for half an hour while I rummage through food that doesn’t sound appetizing or takes too long to cook whereby I end up eating junk food. Methinks somehow this will NOT lead to weight loss, whaddya think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Knittripps said...

I was getting worried about you since you hadn't posted! I hope you are feeling better. Unbelievable how willing those doctors are to medicate these days? Like when the doctor gave me samples of Bextra for my back spasms and two weeks later it was pulled from the market???

4:21 PM  
Blogger xartican said...

It's all a big conspiracy! Drugs are bad for you! ... But then so is everything else in life. ;-)

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home