Thursday, September 01, 2005

Sweet corn and watermelon. Gotta love it!

The good thing about living in the heartland of the country is the wonderful produce that is available. Especially around this time of year. There are some things in Iowa I will definitely miss when I move. Good pork and beef, the only dairy I LIKE the milk from, and the produce to name some. Since I’ve been living on fruits and veggies lately that’s what I’ll talk about today. (I think I’ll save my addiction to the AE dairy for another day.)

Iowa is well known for its sweet corn. There is nothing like Iowa sweet corn. I've always liked corn, but now I REALLY like corn. Especially sweet corn from Grimes in August. Less than 5 minutes in a pot of boiling pot of water, a little (or a lot :P) of butter, and maybe a pinch of salt or chili powder and you have yourself meal. How can one ear of corn be a meal you ask? Trust me, you’ll want more than one and next thing you know any food you’ve made (like the main dish) will just sitting on your plate as you devour ears upon ears of sweet kernels. Umm, yeah, not that ever happened to me. *cough, cough* Excuse me, I think I need some dental floss.

So what was for dessert? Watermelon! Another summer time must have. The watermelon I’ve been eating is to die for. Sweet, juicy, and seedless. I could eat this watermelon for days. Er, I guess I already have been. Hey! At least its not fattening right?

Little fruit and veggie stalls that pop up on street corners ever summer are the greatest. It may be a bit more expensive to buy from them, but it is well worth it. I’d much rather have the watermelon from there then from what’s found in the air-conditioned, trucked in from god knows where, supermarket stuff. Most of these stall sell just a few items; all seem to at least have sweet corn and tomatoes. The ones I frequent on the corner of 63rd and Grand has peaches, watermelon, corn, tomatoes, and canteloupe.

Oh and the best part about the fruit and veggie stall on 63rd and Grand? The seller is HOT! *drool*

1 Comments:

Blogger Knittripps said...

I completely agree about sweet corn and watermelon :) When I think of summer, those foods are on the top of my list along with a juicy BLT!

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home