Sunday, November 13, 2005

Spicy Tuna Mayo Onigiri

A few days ago I made some onigiri that tasted amazing but looking a bit scary. Today I had the chance to perfect my technique and came up with some prettier looking ones. Tasty too!

Spicy Tuna Mayo Onigiri


I ate two of the onigiris and a large bowl of plain miso soup for an late lunch/early dinner. Dessert was the pile of grapes. Not a bad meal, and relatively healthy I believe.

Miso Soup 1


For those of you who don't remember my second post that explained what an onigiri is, I'll recap a bit. Onigiri, also known as omusubi, is the Japanese equivalent to the western sandwich. It is a common item found at picnics or in your lunch bento (boxed lunch). Like sandwiches, fillings can be pretty much whatever you'd like. Most are flavorful as to constast with the bland rice. Some common filings are umeboshi (pickled plums), tuna/mayo, salted salmon, or even Spam (very popular in Hawaii).

Onigiri is fairly easy to make. Most people I know just use thier hands to mold the rice into shape or use a mold. The most common are ball shaped, barrel shaped, and triangle shaped. I usually use a mold but since that's currently in a box somewhere I had to try to shape mine by hand. Not very pretty I tell you. I found a great trick to hand molding on Egullet's Japan thread. (Have I told you how much I love Egullet? I do, I really do.)

Take a piece of saran wrap and place it over a shallow bowl. Spoon heap of hot rice into the middle of bowl, spread it out a bit. Put filling in the middle of rice. Gather up plastic wrap and mold into desired shaped. Wrap in nori. Easy as pie. I think I like this trick better than using my mold. Thank the lord for Egullet. (^.^)

Today I decided to make my favorite which is spicy tuna (Starkist Sweet and Spicy Tuna in a pouch),minced onion, and Kewpie mayonnaise. I also mixed in some furikake with the rice before I assembled my onigiri.

Recipe:

4 cups steamed Japanese rice
2 Tbs fuikake
2 sheets nori (seaweed)

Filing:
1 pouch Starkist Tuna Creation sweet and spicy flavor
1/2 onion, minced
1/4 cup Kewpie mayonnaise*

Use technique described above. Should make 4 decent sized onigiris.
Enjoy.

*Kewpie mayonnaise is a Japanese brand mayonnaise found in Asian markets. It is more acidic then American mayonnaise. Use whatever you feel like.


Here's a great site featuring different conbini (convenience stores) onigiri. Click me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Webbies said...

Ok, so you are such a foodie....reading your blog makes me frown at my McDonald's dinner from tonight!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Knittripps said...

We will have to make these together sometime and take a picnic when the weather is nice again in 6 months or so!!!

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home