Thursday, November 03, 2005

Thai Flavors

The other day I called up a friend to see if he wanted to join me for lunch since he had the day off. I'm usually the one who picks the restaurants amongst my group of friends and that day I had a craving for some spicy Thai food. I'm still a bit sick so I was jonesing for some comfort food. We agreed to meet at our favorite Thai restaurant only to find out that it was closed for a month of renovation. I was determined, however, to eat Thai food so we ended up at Thai Flavors Restaurant as it was the most convenient Thai restaurant for where we need to go after lunch. I was surprised to see how busy it was.

Eggroll. Thai Flavors. Des Moines, IA


I was hungry so I decided to have an order of vegetarian eggrolls. The were delivered to the table tongue-burning hot (trust me) and were great. These are the type of eggrolls I grew up eating. Inside was a mix of carrots, cabbage, and vermicelli noodles. The sauce was obviously not from a bottled and was lighter than your normal sweet & sour sauce.

Green Curry. Thai Flavors. Des Moines, IA


I had the green curry lunch plate with chicken. I asked for it Thai hot but either they didn't trust me or they've toned down what they consider thai hot. Green curry is never supposed to be eye-wateringly spicy but there should be a nice kick. I wanted it SPICY though and was sad that it came pretty normal spicy (to me).

PadThai. Thai Flavors. Des Moines, IA


My friend had the padthai which he said was pretty good but not quite up to standard of our favorite Thai restaurant. I've had it before and would have to agree. There are better versions to be found.


All in all, Thai Flavors did satisfy my craving. The dishes we had tasted like what I expect from a good Thai restaurant. Sadly, I think they are starting to cater more towards American taste. I missed the flavor of thai basil in my curry and the padthai was a bit sweet. Not a bad place for lunch though as it was quite cheap, all lunch plates were $5.95. If I remember right the dinner menu is quite a bit larger so I may have to head back that way sometime.

Food: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Price: Lunch under $10
Authenticity: Slipping a bit but not too bad. I remember crying when I ordered a 3 star dish when the restaurant first opened. So I expected to be hurting as I ate my 5 star rated spicy lunch. Sad to say I didn't even have to reach for the water glass once.

2 Comments:

Blogger Webbies said...

I had some Thai today myself with my partner. We went to King & I as it is pretty close to work. I had the Sweet Basil (New Generation) and had it medium-spiced. It had a little more kick than what I was looking for, but it was really really good.

We also had the Summer Rolls for an appetizer, I usually prefer the fried variety for my spring rolls/egg rolls

Around Des Moines, I have been to Taste of Thailand, Cool Basil, and now King & I. Where is your usual pitstop?

5:08 PM  
Blogger Knittripps said...

Oh my gosh, green curry sounds really good to me right now. I have been pretty sick with a cold and it might actually clear me up a little.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home