Sunday, January 15, 2006

Battle Khao Soi; the heat is on!

Battle Khao Soi has begun and Onigiri, whose reputation is on the line, tries to defend the honor of all Thais as she prepares to make khao soi. I, your host, Alton Brown will be interviewing and observing Ms. Onigiri as she prepares this famous Northern Thai dish.

Alton:
So Ms. Onigiri could you tell me a little about what your going to
be doing today?

Onigiri:
Yes, I would be happy to. I’ll be making khao soi using Chez Pim’s
recipe as posted on her blog. After some research, I found her
recipe to be the easiest one to re-create in an American kitchen as
there were only two items I needed from the Asian market, fresh,
flat, Chinese egg noodles and pickled, sour mustard greens. The rest of
the ingredients were easily obtained at my normal Iowan supermarket, Hy-vee.

Alton:
Were there any deviations from her recipe?

Onigiri:
Not much. Khun Pim’s recipes is quite good but I ended up only using
deboned pieces of thigh meat and chicken legs instead of breast meat, since I prefer dark meat. Other than that I think I put a bit more water in mine as I like my khao soi more soupy.

Alton Brown:
Well, there seems to be some a few people highly interested in this battle between yourself and Austin of RealThai. I would like to send you off with some of your own words, “A lot of talk, but no khao soi yet, my friend.” So I suggest you to get in the kitchen. With that, I will now leave you to your cooking. Good luck and Allez cuisine!

Onigiri:
Thank you, Alton. I would like to say on behalf of all my Thai
"This Thai girl will make you all proud and be the champion of
this battle!
Su thigh kha! [Translation: I will fight to
the death!]


Garnish for Khao Soi


Garnishes clockwise from top limes pieces, cilantro, sliced shallots, pickled mustard greens, and chili powder in oil.

Khao Soi: step one


Stir fry Thai red curry paste, curry powder, and turmeric powder.

Khao Soi: step two


Add chicken and stir fry to coat.

Khao Soi: step three


After adding all the coconut milk and water, simmer. Season well.

Khao Soi: step four


Boil and drain flat Chinese egg noodles.

Khao Soi: step five


Top drained noodles with khao soi curry sauce, then garnish as desire.

Khao Soi: finished dish


Alton:
Wow, that looks tasty. Any last words for our audience?


Onigiri:
I'm so glad you think so, Alton. I hope the judges will agree. I really enjoyed this competition and I hope Austin did too. For all the ribbing and joshing around in the end it's still all about the food. So I hope by this challenge we have demonstrated how easy it is to make this dish, whether your in Thailand or in Iowa. Enjoy na kha!


*** Disclaimer: This interview is a parody of Iron Chef America (tm) and only took place in this blog writers imagination.***

5 Comments:

Blogger Webbies said...

Looks pretty yummy...good luck!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Austin said...

Not bad, girl, not bad at all. I did though, go through the trouble of suffering chili eye by smashing my own chili paste, so I reckon I might make a better daugher in law!

I notice that we we're both too lazy to made the deep-fried noodle topping!

Austin

1:57 AM  
Blogger Knittripps said...

Looks great!

8:00 PM  
Blogger E.F. Slattery said...

Great recipe and great blog! Now I want to try Khao Soi, followed by pate choux. :-)
Sadly, finding ingredients here is also difficult; there's a sizeable Thai population in Israel, but Thai ingredients are few and far between...
Nevertheless, like you guys in the KS Battle, I will soldier on.
Keep up the great writing!

4:20 AM  
Blogger OnigiriFB said...

Hi Erin,

Welcome to my blog. :) I hope you have an opportunity to try either recipes, both were fun to do. As for Thai ingredients. Are there Thai restaurants that you know they owners are Thai? Ask them where they get their ingredients. Thais are very friendly and will be happy to let you know where to find Thai ingredients nearby. They will be impressed if you tell them you want to make khao soi since it's not a dish that is well known. Good luck!

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home