Thursday, January 05, 2006

Gai Lan with Oyster Sauce

Since it seems the food blogging world is all about healthy foods this month I thought I would post about some of the healthy dishes I did between Thanksgiving and Christmas to try and stave off those unwanted pounds. One of my favorite ways to eat healthy is to incorporate more vegetables and protein in my diet instead of those heavy carbohydrates, such as rice, pasta, and bread. Ok, well, not rice. Asking a Thai girl to give up rice is nigh impossible. I also try to avoid anything high in sugar. So toss out those bags of cookies and candies you may have leftover from the holidays and try some healthy food with me.

On my annual trip out to Los Angeles one of the restaurants I must eat in is the Empress Pavilion. This is the best dim sum restaurant and the first restaurant we hit after my plane arrives. My foodie friend, Islaine, out there knows that if I’m not taken for dim sum there will be hell to pay. Usually, in the form of me whining for however long I’m out there! Well to combat all those delicious dumplings and oily treats I always request this item from the carts that wander around.

Gai Lan 2


This is gai lan (Chinese broccoli) blanch and served with an oyster/sesame oil sauce. It is very easy to make at home and you can substitue baby bok choy, broccoli, broccolini, asparagus, or sugar snap peas. All you do is blanch your vegetables for a 5 to 7 minutes and then put them in an ice water bath to keep them pretty. The vegetables should be tender-crisp.

Recipe for sauce:

1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 Tbsp of water.

In a small saucepan, mix all ingredients except cornstarch. Heat gentle for about a minute then add cornstarch mixture to thicken. Cook for about 30 seconds longer. Toss sauce with drained greens or pour over top. Yum!

Enjoy.

**Recipe from Dim Sum The Art of Chinese Tea Lunch by Ellen Leong Blonder**

4 Comments:

Blogger Webbies said...

Went to King & I tonight and had my fav....it is Spicy Basil (New Generation).....sooo yummy. I am a sucker for chili pepper sauces.

8:39 PM  
Blogger OnigiriFB said...

Nice! Thats the same thing as I posted about the pork stirfried with thai basil. Some places just name it different. I like King and I. You should try nutpob on indianola and se 14th though that's my favorite place.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Webbies said...

Went there for lunch today again...we ordered 4 dishes and shared. Spicy Basil, Pad Thai, Tereyaki Chicken (butchered that spelling), and Laarb. Pretty tasty although I have had better Pad Thai.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Knittripps said...

The Gai Lan with Oyster Sauce sounds good. Of course, I like oyster. I supposed the taste of oyster might be too much for some???

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home