Sunday, December 04, 2005

Granite City's Sunday Brunch

The weekend before Thanksgiving a good friend of mine came up to town and suggested we go to Sunday brunch at Granite City. Most sundays I’m lucky if I get out of bed before one o’clock and the last thing I’m usually thinking about is food. You have to understand that saying something, that a foodie like me isn’t thinking about food for once!

Since this was a special occasion to spend some time with a good friend I actually got up, got showered, and dressed before 11 o’clock. Amazing, huh? I think so! Alright, my bad sleeping habits on sundays aside what I really wanted to talk about was the food. What else, right?

If you haven’t had the chance to check Granite City’s amazing Sunday brunch I highly recommend that you do. It’s a little pricy at $14.95/person and you may have to wait a bit for a table and in the buffet line, but man is it worth it. At the beginning of the buffet your choices already get your mouth watering. After retrieving our warm plates, we stepped into line and were offered a choice of fresh strawberries, cantaloupe, chocolate muffins, blueberry muffins, white chocolate raspberry muffin, or croissant. Oh my!

I started off with some fruit, a croissant and took a white chocolate raspberry muffin home with me. Next up was your choice of eggs, scrambled or cheesy egg casserole with ham. I had the scrambled eggs. They were to die for and I don’t even LIKE scrambled eggs. I ended up going back for seconds on the eggs even when I felt my stomach was about to burst. The eggs were buttery, had a wonderful flavor, and seemed to melt in your mouth. I’m drooling just thinking about them. Next is a choice of sausage or bacon. Every in my party who had been there before kept raving about the bacon so, of course, I had to try it. It was wonderful. I believe it was a smoked apple bacon. I remember thick pieces of bacon that tasted real without any weird artificial flavor taste to it. This, my friends, is what bacon should taste like.

I faintly remember a pasta dish (it is brunch after all) and some potatoes. I think I had the potatoes and there were good but not that memorable. Almost at the end of the buffet, there was roast beef with horseradish sauce. It was a little too well done for my taste as I like my beef pretty rare, but still very tender. At the end of the buffet was a made to order egg mcmuffin stand. My friend had one and said it was great. I trust her taste so I’m sure it was, sadly I was too full on my second trip up to try it. But, you can be sure I’ll try it on my next trip to Granite City’s Sunday brunch. Well, that is if I make it past the eggs and bacon I’ll be heaping on my plate.

Oh, and before I forget, you can also get mimosas and bloody mary’s. The bloody mary’s very tasty too. Just beware those can fill you up and you might miss out on more of the scrambled eggs and bacon. Sorry, I REALLY like the scrambled eggs and bacon. Can you tell?

If you get up early on a Sunday I highly suggest a trip out to Granite City. It’s a great place to take your friends or family out for a special Sunday treat and laze away the late morning and early afternoon hours. Just be sure to schedule a nap for the afternoon. You may need it, I know I did.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and last but not least, let's not forget those rich, but delicious cinnamon rolls they bring to the table! hehehe It was a fabulous time, wasn't it?

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was very good but the stand at the end was eggs Benedict. Kinda like a egg mcmuffin but not the same. Hey also where is the miso marinade recipie you were going to post?

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home