Thursday, November 17, 2005

Spatchcock

I love the word spatchcock. I ran across it on an eGullet thread. I've heard of the technique but never heard the term before. So what is it? Basically, all it means is the split open a whole chicken and lay it flat. I used this technique for the first time to do roast chicken.

Spatchcock'ed Roast Chicken


I love a good roasted chicken. I seem to do one about once a month. Besides noshing on just roast chicken it's great for leftovers. I'll usually use it in sandwiches or over a salad.

Spatchcock'ed Roast Chicken 2


Here's a picture from the front. As you can see the chicken isn't quite flat. I forgot to take the wishbone out. It didn't hurt anything and I actually liked the hollow it created as I mounded the chicken over some garlic cloves and onion wedges. I'm not sure if this technique will replace my normal method of roasting chicken as I like to stuff mine with aromatics. However, it did make for some nice crispy skin and was quicker that my normal routine.

Spatchcocking:

Remove giblets and neck, rinse chicken inside and out, pat dry with paper towels. With sharp kitchen shears, cut down both sides of backbone, remove back (freeze this part for stock later). Snip out wishbone (optional, mine worked just fine with it). Press chicken flat.

Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Rub with a good amount of olive oil. Mound over one medium onion, cut into wedges and garlic cloves. Bake at 425 degrees, 40-60 minutes. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes after you remove it from the oven so the juices can soak back into the meat. Bonus is this also gives you time to make your sides. I served this with a simple romaine salad and some fresh, hot, crusty french rolls. Nummy!

Won't you spatchcock today?

Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Knittripps said...

Wow, that looks good! I am looking forward to our holiday cookie bake-off :)

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home