Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Moo Sup Pad Bai Gkaprow (Minced Pork Stir-fried with Thai Basil)

A few weeks ago I posted about an Asian grocery shopping spree. Now that things have settled down a bit I decided I would show you what I made with all that food.

Another favorite luncheon dish from Thailand I used to eat on a semi-regular basis was gai pad gkaprow. Translation = chicken stir-fried with Thai basil. It is usually served over a bed of rice with a crispy fried egg over easy and some of the ubiquitous Thai condiment; Thai bird chilies in fish sauce with a squeeze of lime. This is a dish you will find all over Thailand. I’ve eaten this dish in the south on a white sand beach, on a mountain top in the far north, and all over Bangkok, from street stalls to fancy restaurants.

Moo Sup Pad Gra Pao


I was in the mood for pork so I decided to make mine with some minced pork I had picked up. One of the greatest things about stir-fries is you can decide what meat you feel like. If you’re in a Thai restaurant you may want to give this dish a try. Live a little and get it spicy like we do, come on I dare you. I double dare you!

If you feel like trying your hand at this at home here's the recipe:

3 Tbsp canola oil
1 lb. Minced pork (or chicken, sliced)
6 cloves garlic, minced
5 to 20 Thai bird chilies, bashed with the side of a knife or chopped (adjust for you heat level)
2 shallots, minced
1 cup of Thai basil leaves
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce for color
pinch of sugar
dash of white pepper

Heat wok or large saucepan until smoking hot, add oil. Add garlic, stir for a few seconds, then add shallots, stir-fry for another 30 seconds or so. Add minced pork, stir fry until done, about 2 minutes. Add chilies, stir-fry another minute. Add fish sauce, dark soy sauce, pinch of sugar, and white pepper. Add basil and stir-fry until it is wilted. Serve over rice with a egg over easy if desired. Garnish with cilantro.

Recipe adapted slightly from Kasma Loha-unchit.

Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Discovered your page from the Three Zins, and thrilled to read your Blog. I have just discovered blogging late in life...after I ran into some Bloggers in Singapore quite by accident.

You are an artist... the recipe is the score and creating the dish is the performance of the score... the arts appeal to the senses and you are an artist for tastes and the wonderful attendant smells...

7:02 AM  
Blogger Knittripps said...

Oh I am so hungry! Looking forward to cooking with you again :)

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have added the visual dimension as present your artworks since your dishes are a feast for the eyes!

7:46 AM  
Blogger OnigiriFB said...

Wyzard - thank you and welcome to my blog. :)

vjm - you have tried this at Nut Pob with me. You ended up eating my meal instead! Remember the crispy fish?

emi - hehe just wait til you see all the recipes I think look good.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home