Thursday, February 02, 2006

Tea Time Thursdays IV - Earl Grey Creme Brulee

Welcome to the fourth edition of Tea Time Thursday. Today I decided to show you a dessert made with tea. Last month, a recipe in Midwest Living’s January/February 2006 issue caught my eye as it included the use of Earl Grey tea. I had just purchased a wonderful Earl Grey Darjeeling from Gong Fu Tea store and decided it would be fun to try making a dessert out of it. I’ve never used tea in cooking before but, I have heard of using tea in a few Asian recipes. Please join me today as I make my first recipe using tea.

I’ve had creme brulee at fancy restaurants before but never thought to make it myself as I thought it was complicated. After reading the recipe I realized it wasn’t complicated it just needed a few specialized pieces of equipment that I didn’t have. Luckily, BAM lent me her set and finally got a chance to try my hand at making creme brulee.

Earl Grey Creme Brulee


The first thing I did was heat the heavy whipping cream and half&half until it just began bubbling. I then add the Earl Grey tea and let the seep for an hour off the heat.

Earl Grey Creme Brulee


When it was done seeping I strained the loose tea using a fine sieve.

Earl Grey Creme Brulee


Next, in a seperate bowl I combined the egg yolks and sugar with a whisk, thouroughly.

Earl Grey Creme Brulee


Ladle creme brulee mixture into ramekins and bake in a bain-marie on a 350 degree oven.

Earl Grey Creme Brulee


After 45-50 minutes remove from oven and cool on rack. When the ramekins have cooled cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour to 24 hours.

Earl Grey Creme Brulee


Right before eating sprinkle with sugar and carmelize top with a culinary torch. Serve.

The Earl Grey Creme Brulee was good but, I'm not sure I would make it that often. I think I prefer the classic version of creme brulee more than this one. The flavor of the Earl Grey tea came through very clear and was almost a little bitter. It's a rich dessert and I could only eat one small ramekin before getting full. My favorite part? The carmelized crunchy sugar topping, of course. Yum!

Here's the recipe I adapted from Midwest Living if you would like to give this a try.

2 cups half-and-half or light cream
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsps Earl Grey Darjeeling, loose leaf
9 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar plus 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar for carmelized topping

Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Webbies said...

Looks pretty good! I love Creme Brulee yet have never made my own. Have a good weekend!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Knittripps said...

there is no doubt that it would have been something i loved :)

5:43 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

This looks interesting. However, I could see that this might taske a little bitter. However! There is a way to try to get a milder, less bitter taste. Try the milder-tasting Lady Grey Tea, instead of the stronger Earl Grey.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home