Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Phad Thai

Well Battle Khao Soi has come and gone and this Thai girl is so ashamed. Even though only 3 judges voted it looks like the farang (foreigner) is winning. Austin, the wonderful person he is, crowed and then left for the southern part of Thailand. Alas if only I had made my own curry paste like he did. In my defence, I really hoped by showing my blog readers a simpler version using store bought curry paste you would be more likely to try making it yourself. Go figure, eGulleters would take that into account. Just you wait Austin, I'm not giving up! We WILL battle again! There's one more fellow eGulleter that has yet to weigh in. So we shall see, we shall see. Mayhaps the girl from France will have us BOTH beat. Go Ptipois!

Well to comfort myself I decided to make some Phad Thai. Why? Because it doesn't require any curry paste! Yes, I'm a wee bit upset. But like a good Thai I will just shrug my shoulders and say, "Mai pen rai". (It's no problem.) On to other things I say, namely Phad Thai. I don't know many people who haven't heard of this dish. It's fairly easy and should only require a trip to the Asian market for the tamarind. You don't have to use tamarind, but I think it makes a huge difference.

Phad Thai - mise en place


From clockwise: banana blossom, bean sprouts, tofu, minced shallots and garlic, chili powder, tamarind. On the side: vegetable oil, fish sauce. Not pictured: sugar, egg, and rice noodles soaking in water.

Phad Thai - first step


Heat wok on high heat. Add oil. Add shallots, garlic, and tofu. Stir-fry until tofu begins to golden.

Phad Thai - second step


Add noodles, stir-fry. Add fish sauce, tamarind, chili powder, and sugar. Stir-fry quickly for a few minutes on high heat. Add half of bean sprouts, stir-fry. Push noodles to side, crack an egg into work, scramble for a few minutes. Stir-fry noodles into eggs.

Phad Thai - finished dish


Plate and garnish with green onions, remaining bean sprouts. On the side is a quarter of the banana blossom, sugar, and chili powder. Not shown half of lime.

To eat I squeeze some lime juice on the phad thai, mixed in some extra sugar and chili powder and stirred it all together. This how phad Thai is served in Thailand.

Recipe adapted from ThaiTable.com

1/2 of a lime
1 egg
4 tsp fish sauce, or to taste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp oil
1 shallot, minced
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp tamarind (substitute white vinegar if needed)
1/2 package Thai rice noodles, soaked in lukewarm water for 10 minutes
1 package extra-firm tofu
3 green onions, sliced into 2-inch pieces
1 cup bean sprouts

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home