Thursday, February 09, 2006

Tea Time Thursday V - Wu Yi Shan Red Cape

Welcome to the fifth edition of Tea Time Thursdays. I know I've been a little lax in blogging lately. I can only plead illness as my excuse. I've not been up to much cooking lately but, I have got some baking in. I don't do so bad at mixing stuff and sticking it in an oven for awhile so in the next couple of Thursday's I'll be unveiling my creations. Hopefully, things will get better and I'll be blogging about more wierd asian creations soon.

I'm in love...

with Oolong teas, that is. If you remember I wrote about an Oolong tea for the first Tea Time Thursday, check it out here, and was waxing poetically about it then. Well, after a few weeks of drinking that tea non-stop I got a little bored with it. So I snuck off to Gong Fu Tea store again and asked Mike for a slighter stronger oolong. What he suggested was Wu Yi Shan Red Cape. Here's the information on Gong Fu Tea's website about this tea:

"Red Cape Oolong tea was prepared by and for the Chinese Imperial Family of the Yuan Dynasty (13th and 14th centuries). This is a wonderful, highly oxidized Oolong grown on the slopes of the famous Wuyi Mountain in Fujian Province – home to some of the world's most prized teas. The leaves produce a liquor that is smooth, rich and woody in character. Treat yourself to this royal tribute tea. "


Wu Yi Shan Red Cape


You know I didn't know that until today when I went to the website to link it for you all. Interesting, you learn something new everyday. While I don't think the Wu Yi Shan Red Cape will replace my favorite oolong so far it is a good tea to drink while eating various Asian cuisines, especially Chinese. This tea leans a little more towards black teas or, in tea-speak, is more oxidized than the previous Oolong tea I have tried. Wu Yi Shan Red Cape tea taste slightly more bitter in the aftertaste and less floral but it's a very clean flavor. It doesn't fight with any of the flavors found in Chinese food and would help refresh the palate as you ate. So the next time you're in the mood for Chinese take-out, pick up some Wu Yi Shan Red Cape tea to go with it. It was good enough to serve the Imperial Family so I'm sure you'll like it. You may just feel a little like royalty yourself!

Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Webbies said...

Really enjoyed the Brulee tonight, thanks again!

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Wu Yi Shan Red Cape (Wuyishan dahongpao) is definitely a treat. Though its tasted and aroma would be greatly enhanced if you are able to procure some that are well aged. Well aged fermented Chinese tea tend to have a more refined taste without the edgy rawness (huoqi) that you find with new tea that just came on the market.

If you enjoy the Wuyishan dahongpao, let me suggest some other types of Chinese tea that you might be interested in; in the same category there are the "Shui Xian jia zhong" and the "Tie Luo Han". If you want to try some compressed tea which offer a more intense and woody flavor without the dry aftertaste there is of course the "Pu Er", the "Liu Bao", and the "Liu An". It is also worth suggesting that the practice of combining Oolong tea such as Shui Xian (to use a good Da Hong Pao would probably be unwise due to its price) with compress tea such as Pu Er or Liu Bao does produce a very distinctive tea with an interesting character. Furthermore the practice of adding chrysanthemum to Pu Er tea is also prevalent in the Guangdong region and is a popular drink to have accompanying dimsum.

Truly,

Peking Man

2:52 AM  
Blogger Roy Sencio said...

Peking Man, you sure do know your tea, I have been on Oolong for the longest time and only recently tried Wu-Yi Tea, no regrets... yes it is indeed a treat!

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home